Monday, November 3, 2014

The Gardens Of A King

This week I will be showing a bit more of my work on my latest design. I'm so excited to share this with you! It has been a wonderful road of pondering, drawing and finally sewing. I'll be showing you my finished quilt top next Sunday morning so be sure to check back often this week for more posts about the making of this quilt.

Several years ago I ran across the picture of the King George III Coverlet found on the Victoria and Albert (V&A) Museum website.


Click on the picture to go to the V&A website and read about the original bed cover. Thanks to the V&A Museum for posting this beautiful bed cover online. It has been such an inspiration for many quilters!

You can also see it in the book titled Quilts 1700-2010 Hidden Histories, Untold Stories from the V&A. This quilt is dated 1803-1805. I am AMAZED that this wonderful quilt was made so long ago. The maker did not have the advantage of our lights, needles, thimbles, scissors, threads, fabrics, rulers, sharp pencils and other supplies that we have today! What a talented woman she must have been!

The desire to make this quilt came about once I figured out that I can piece blocks accurately using my starch method of basting English Paper Piecing. For me, English Paper Piecing is not only about Hexies! Once I gained permission from the V&A to make a pattern based on this quilt, my mind started spinning on how to draw it! The intricate circular designs I saw in the picture were very small. I blew them up on my iPad and began the journey of drafting each of the 16 pieced blocks found in the original quilt. It was quite exciting to complete a block draft and move on to the next! Below is an example of one of the drawings for the pattern. I made a point to draw these with a ruler and pencil similar to the original maker. It has been a wonderful journey to draw these 16 blocks.

I began sewing the blocks in the late spring this year and have been thrilled that even though the blocks look difficult, they really went together very easily! You could say I've Gone Crazy for Starch Basting English Paper Piecing!

I've discovered I have become fond of some of the most difficult looking blocks because they go together so easily! As one was completed, I couldn't wait to go on to the next one!

It has been a wonderful journey using my favorite reproduction fabrics, even though they are not all true to the period of the original bed cover.

It's been a wonderful journey of perfecting my Starch Basting for English Paper Piecing with the addition of my Favorite Starch Brush to my tools I love to use! Click on the picture to see it on the website. You can also read back a bit on my blog to see how I have learned to love using it!

I've had a few ladies do some pattern testing on the pattern and they have been posting about this quilt as well. You can see their work on their blogs A Passion For Appliqué and Faeries And Fiber. I've linked you to their last post as of today about Gardens Of A King blocks. Please be sure to check for newer posts as you read their blogs as they will be posting more also! Carrie and Karen are wonderful quilters and I have been so blessed to have their talents at hand to test my pattern so it will be right for you all! If you have not contacted me yet about being the first to know when the pattern is released, let me know and I will add you to the list to give you first notice about availability.

Be sure to watch the blog this week. I'll post again on Wednesday to tell you a bit more about The Gardens Of A King. I promise some NEW pictures for you to see another sampling of the quilt!

In other topics, I want to suggest that each of you be sure to tell those you love how much you love them and do so often! Our family unexpectedly lost a dear member last week and he will be greatly missed. We all know he's with loved ones who've passed before him, but we will still miss him here on earth. It reminds me of how precious life is...

With that said, I hope you have a wonderful day! Thanks, as always, for stopping by today! See you again Wednesday!

Take care,

Missie

PS... Over the past few weeks I have received several requests to be added to the list about the pattern, but some of you are no reply followers. If you have NOT received a note in reply from me, that means I can not reach you. Please send me your email address. As I get them from today on I will post a reply after your comment on the blog so you are aware that I can't reply to you. Please adjust your settings so that I can see your email or send me your email address. I try very hard to reply to all comments, so if you have not heard from me, I don't think I have your email address. Thanks!

 

15 comments:

  1. Sorry for your loss. :( Please add me to your list for the King George pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, please check your email to see if you have gotten a rely from me about the list for the pattern. If not, send me your email address pleas. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Love these blocks and look forward to seeing what else you are working on with George. Sorry about your recent loss - sending hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is going to be a gorgeous quilt. I watched a lady do paper piecing and really like how nice it made the quilt, but my brain can't handle that many steps, lol.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in awe, Missie. It would never have occurred to me that I could recreate that quilt. Very impressive!!
    So sorry for your loss. I just came from another blog where there was an unexpected death in the family. Very hard. I'll keep your family in my prayers, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I"ve been enjoying seeing Carrie's and Karen's progress on your quilt. Wow what a journey this has been for you - love it! I would love to make this quilt - one day :-)Thank you for the reminder to tell our loved ones how much we care - I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just loving this quilt. If I am not already on your list please add me. Sorry for your recent loss

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Missie - thanks for mentioning me and my blog. I am really enjoying testing your pattern. It is a great quilt and there are lots of opportunities for quilters to put their own touches in the quilt! Even though I know where you are going with your quilt I can't wait for the big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can say is wow! you are doing a wonderful job. I am almost afraid to ask...how many and how big are they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for your family's loss! My thoughts are with yous!
    Your quilt is a work of art. I love EPP and would love to hear when your pattern becomes available. My e-mail address is
    chantal.v.shaw6@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is amazing how you have recreated this quilt.
    That starch brush is pretty neat.
    So sorry to hear about your loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry about your loss. We went through a year of either friends or family members of friends passing away. We made a promise to each other to say I love you to each other as much as possible each day.
    I'm loving this quilt. English paper piecing is really cool and I too would like to be added to your list for this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, please email me through the profile link...I need your email address as you are a no reply blogger. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry for your family's loss. :(. Absolutely love this quilt and all things EPP. Please add me to your list. :)

    ReplyDelete