Saturday, February 28, 2015

Hexies Are EVERYWHERE!

Have you noticed that Hexies are found everywhere these days?!? We bought a new (to us) car last spring and believe it or not, the seats have a Hexie texture to them! I drive a Nissan Juke if any of you want a Hexie car too! Haha! it is not the reason we bought the car, but it sure was a fun little perk for me!

And here is a close up view!

Since then, I've started noticing Hexies EVERYWHERE !!! Here are a few pictures I've collected. These are from TV- weather reports, auto commercials, news reports, TV shows, football; Product Packaging- toothpaste, TVs, advertising, clothing, non quilting magazines, Auto grills, shopping carts and MORE!! That snowflake is a photo of a real snowflake! Look at that Hexie in the middle!

 

As I'm typing this post in the living room, a news story has come on the TV and I just had to pause it and snap a nice picture of a few more Hexies! This is a 3D food printer...WOW! And see the beautiful Hexie shapes it's using to build sugar decorations?! WOW! Wouldn't we love to build candy Hexies in our own kitchen to serve our quilty friends a special treat!

 

As you are out and about, start looking...Hexies are EVERYWHERE!! So fun! We Quilter's are not the only ones Hooked On Hexies!! Have these shapes always been used in marketing and TV or am I just now noticing??

I'm sewing on some Hexies today trying to finish up the little Candy Stripes small quilt I started a while back. (Like a YEAR ago!) This little quilt keeps getting pushed to the back of the line when it comes to stitching order. But it's so cute, I thought I'd bring it front and center in stitching order to get this little gem done.

I have made up kits for the Dallas Show in a few weeks. Some are red and ivory and some a blue and ivory. If you happen to fall in love with this little gem, send me a note and I'll give you pricing info. This little Candy Stripes Quilt is about 12" Square. Just big enough for a little mini quilt or table topper! Of course, you could always add more to it and make it any size you want.


This little quilt pattern explains my starch basting process and is a good starter if you want to learn my way using the Finger Stiletto and Starch Brush found on my website. It's just another little addition to my starter kits to learn the method. Quick and simple, not counting all the time it sat in my "to do" pile! Haha!
Notice I don't keep the papers in while sewing Hexies together. I keep my finger nail very close to the edges and this helps me to take tiny bites in the fabric, keeping the stitches hidden from the front.
This picture shows how I "bind" the edges, which really isn't a binding, but just a pretty old fashioned finish. After the top is completed, I lay more Hexies around the edges, right sides together and sew all around the edges, attaching the new pieces together at their side seams so they will lay flat. When they are sewn all around the edges, I'll just flip them to the back side. You can see those pieces lifted slightly in the picture below. While looking at the backside, see how wonderful those seams look? That Starch keeps things nice and neat!
 
When all of the "binding" pieces are sewn in and flipped to the back, I'll slip in the batting and backing, appliqué the edges of that binding down and quilt a simple design!
I wanted to say a quick thank you to all of you who have been purchasing the kits for Colors Of Coxcomb which is in the current Spring 2015 issue of Primitive Quilts and Projects Magazine. It's been overwhelming and I'm so grateful that so many of you like this little wool or punched design! Thank you, thank you!
 
Thanks for stopping by today!

Take Care,

Missie, PS- I've added a new tip to the Gardens Of A King Tab

 

 

7 comments:

  1. Colors of Coxcomb is so charming! Love the design and it would be great as a medallion in a bigger quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was ridiculously excited when I noticed our new refrigerator (last year) had hexies for the ice cube symbol. It doesn't take much does it? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new piece in the magazine, someday I will get to all of the patterns I want to make.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last week I visited the restroom of a restaurant where I was having lunch. I was amazed at the complex tile pattern on the walls that formed hexies. Sadly, I didn't have any thing with me that could take a photo.
    I love your Coxcomb pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No your right, hexis are slowly increasing in quantity, some might wonder ithat they are an infectious entity, making great efforts to enter the public domain and psyche ..... well its bloody worked on me, Im completely hexed!
    I knew there was no hope for me, when I was er sat sitting, and opened the new pkt of loo roll only to find that it was, unbeknown to me, impressed with a hexi pattern throughout! ( A spontaneous Poundland purchase!!)
    Hexis had gotten right to the bottom of things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the edge finish on your hexie quilt - I have one sitting here that is waiting for inspiration, but I'm not sure I'm up to that - seems much easier to applique the hexies to a large piece of fabric and square it off for a border - not as nice though. Can't decide - sigh - - -

    ReplyDelete