Monday, November 16, 2015

Sharp Points using Starch Basting for English Paper Piecing

Recently I've had a few people ask me about making sharp points when basting with Starch for English Paper Piecing. I use a simple process of holding the sharp points with the Fingertip Stiletto while I fold over the next seam. The pictures below wil hopefully help you understand. The color is a bit odd but I'm posting this while I have a chance!
The first picture shows how I start a shape, any shape, by drying the seam that is directly over the paper. Don't let the iron get out into the seam allowance so that it will stay damp and flexible.
For the second side of a sharp point, hold the first seam in place with the Fingertip Stiletto while you start to fold over the next seam with the iron.
Continue holding firmly while the seam allowance is folded all the way over the paper shape, pulling out the Fingertip Stiletto as you fold and iron dry.
And the last photo show how I've pulled out the Fingertip Stiletto and pressed the seam allowance flat, again, leaving the next seam to be folded over damp until it is folded over.
I hope that answers your questions! Let me know if you need more clarification. I'll be posting this to the tabs above for easy access.
Take care,
Missie
Www.traditionalprimitives.com
Social Media- FB, Pintrest, Instagram


2 comments:

  1. Good tutorial, I do have a mini iron and I am horrible at points.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great tutorial with good clear pictures. Thanks Missie!

    ReplyDelete