Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A Hundred Pennies is Worth a Dollar...

As you know I've been working on my new wool quilt this summer! I am happy to report that it has progressed from this...

 

To this...

 

To this...

And finally this...

 

I think I have a hundred pennies at least! Worth a dollar? Haha! Worth much more to me! I'll be starting on the borders this weekend...can't wait to get it going for the final stretch of relaxing stitching!

Many have asked if there is cotton in this top. Yes, there is! I love to mix cotton prints and wools...makes for wonderful textures for sure! I've also put these pennies on a cotton fabric. It has the appearance of a wool hooked rug. That was my goal with this one since the inspiration came from an old rug. I wish I had a bolt of that background fabric! It's wonderful.

Usually I do needleturn when using cotton fabrics. But for this quilt I decided to use a good fusible web and stick with the buttonhole stitch to sew on the pieces. It won't be a quilt that is washed, so it should be fine to have those raw edges covered by heavy yarn. Makes for a quicker project also!

I hope to send out that wool scrap freebie early next week! Spread the word of the little freebie pattern and hopefully everyone interested will get their name on the list! To get the pattern, go to my store link in the top left sidebar of my blog. Click on the picture and then find the contact page on my website to write me. Thanks so much for taking the time to do it that way. I am getting the email addresses on a different computer when you register that way. I can only send this pattern from that computer at this time.

I am excited for the Des Moines Area Quilter's Guild gathering today. August is the month for the Charity Auction! Different small groups make quilts and fill baskets with lots of goodies each year to auction off for three good causes. We also have what we call a Mall in the Hall where we can purchase quilting goodies that have been donated by our members. In the past we've collected a good amount of money for the causes. The ladies in DMAQG are generous for sure! Here's a pic of one of the quilts made by one of my small groups. I must admit, I did not help to sew this one, but donated the quilting. I quilted by checkbook on this one because my free time has been taken lately by my design business. This is a Kaffee design and it's made in batiks. They did a great job and we hope it brings lots of money for the charity of choice of the auction winner!

Have a great day!

Take care,

Missie

 

13 comments:

  1. Definitely worth more than a dollar!! Can't wait to see the whole project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missie - The background fabric on your penny project is so amazing - I think it makes a great combination with the wools - SO much stitching on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your penny project fascinates me! Cannot wait to see the flower pieces in the border. Wish I was creative enough to design my own pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pennies---man, definitely worth a whole lot more than a buck!! Can't wait to see that finish..hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tons of pennies and scrap wool and have thought about making one. Love how yours is coming out and can't wait to see the border.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty pennies! Need to drag out the Go and cut some wool for pennies to work on at appts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful pennies.Can´t wait to see your project finished!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pennies are looking great - and definitely worth much more than a dollar! Can not wait to see what you do with the borders...I just love those flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh love those pennies! can't wait to see more
    the quilt is wonderful hope it raises a lot of money for the winners charity choice
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you attaching the pennies to squares of background or is the background one whole piece? It appears to be squares.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its going to be a keeper and wonderful new design....can't wait until it is finished....

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very nice wool project. Love the charity quilt too.
    Enjoy your time in Rogers!

    ReplyDelete