Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Colors of Early Fall

The first signs that cooler weather is on its way for me is when my fall clematis begins to show its buds and bloom. This one grew very well in the HOT climate we had this summer. The rest of my potted plants died off and I let this one take over. Now I am so glad I did as it has been a wonderful screen to help hide the neighbors and now, the blooms are so pretty. They loved this bit of rain on the day of the photo shoot!

And now the sun is shining so I thought I'd show one of my old quilts that I still enjoy. It's a fall quilt that i like to put on my table as a topper. This was made from the book Square Dance by Martha Thompson, way back in the early 90's. She now has a revised edition called Square Dance, Fancy Quilts from Plain Squares.

Here it is all spread out!

My small group at the time had a Sewing Saturday and we each made these together. Everyone's turned out differently. I wish I had pics to share. We all brought a dish to share for lunch and it's such a fun memory.

I have no plain wooden table in this home, so I think I'll drape it over a chair this fall.

Happy Fall Ya'll !!

Missie

5 comments:

  1. Hi Missie, I love your quilt--very cozy on the chair, I think. I used to have an Autumn Clematis in our old house--but I forgot to dig it up and bering it along with us. They are lovely & I like the fact that they bloom when everything else is dying down. I am on the look out for another--I was told to keep their "feet" in the shade and their Heads' in the sun...Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. THat is a beautiful quilt for the fall.
    I have a couple that would work for fall, but I need to quilt them.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooo ready for fall! we need just a little more cool weather to get the smoke down! Saw pumpkins for sale at Trader Joe's yeah, it is that time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, Missie...your fall clematis vine is wonderful! They have such a sweet scent! I love fall too!!!

    Beautiful quilt, sewing projects like this and with buddies is always fun!

    Hugs, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete